This past weekend I was out to dinner with some friends when the topic of work came up. After explaining a typical day in the life of a content marketer, my non-marketing friend turned to me and said “Oh, so you write for a living?” Immediately two thoughts came to mind: I need to get smarter friends and I should blog about this exact moment.
Content marketers are a rare breed in that we’re a fourth journalist, two-thirds marketer, one-tenth planner, one-eighth creative thinkers… Did I get the math right? I didn’t say we were mathematicians. We possess the traits of a journalist in that we’re inherently curious and passionate about writing, but we’re also strategic thinkers and metrics-driven like marketers and planners.
But just like my non-marketing friends, not everyone knows exactly what being a content marketer entails. So, I reached out to my fellow Content Boost editors and asked them to weigh in on the topic, which happened to turn into a list of 20 sure-fire signs you know you’re a content marketer. So without further adieu:
- You can’t watch any TV commercial, look at any advertisement or view any billboard without asking “Hmm could I have done that better?”
- You have a compulsive urge to edit everything you receive. Yes, that includes texts from your significant other, emails from co-workers and even the brochure in the doctor’s office.
- You’re constantly checking your Twitter feed for story ideas. Our favorite sources of inspiration? @JoePulizzi, @MichaelBrenener and @ginidietrich.
- You ask yourself at least twice a day: “What is Joe Pulizzi doing right now?” Probably wearing orange and coming up with a killer content marketing strategy.
- You take it personally when your blog post only gets less than 100 hits. It might even be enough to make you shed a small tear.
- Your AP style book looks like it’s been through hell and back from looking up the correct way to write out states. (FYI: It’s Norwalk, Connecticut, not Norwalk, Conn.)
- You actually look forward to editing a 20-page whitepaper. Then complain to your colleagues why nobody understands the concept of the serial comma.
- Excel is your best friend and your worst enemy. Don’t you wish you paid attention in your high school stats class?
- Your to-do list looks like a 10-page term paper filled with client calls, strategic meetings, brainstorming sessions, content creation… the list goes on.
- The thought of creating an editorial calendar keeps you up at night, but when it’s finally complete there’s no better feeling.
- You use the word “content” at least 20 times a day without even realizing it.
- Two words: buyer personas.
- You bribe others to contribute to the company blog, sometimes with candy, coffee or even pizza.
- You have a love/hate relationship with Google and its rambunctious group of animals. Panda 4.0 anyone?
- Infographics and top 10 lists make you jump for joy.
- You wonder what life was like before Hootsuite was invented. It was a dark time.
- In casual conversation you’ve said, “That would make a good blog post.”
- You have more tabs open at one time than a graphic designer.
- You’re thinking of writing a similar post on your blog at this every moment.
Before she got bitten by the marketing bug, Brooke Neuman worked as a copy editor for Content Boost’s parent company, TMC. As a veteran Content Producer, Brooke draws on her leadership skills and writing expertise to help clients reach their marketing goals. She’s also the creative mind behind the Content Boost blog, featured articles and eNews platforms. When she’s not coming up with killer headlines, you can find her at the beach working on her tan, coaching lacrosse and enjoying her favorite pastime—shopping. Brooke graduated from Endicott College—where she helped the Gulls win four-peat CCC Women’s Lacrosse Championships—with a degree in contemporary journalism.