Is your company blog a snoozefest? Are you boring readers to death with lame headlines, a lack of exciting visuals, and ideas or concepts that they’ve already read a dozen times before? I get it; making something like ROI and business analytics “sexy” isn’t easy. But don’t get discouraged, there’s a little Jerry Seinfeld in all of us.
Below are five tips and tricks to revitalize your content and put some much-needed life back into your blog:
- Get inspiration from trending topics: From holidays to sporting and entertainment events to the latest celebrity blunder, every day there’s something new happening. Take inspiration from trending events and find a way to tie it back to your subject. Check out Twitter’s search page to find popular hashtags or explore Google Trends.
- Be controversial: If there’s a big debate going on within your industry that you feel passionate about, take a side on the issue and invite readers to weigh in on the subject to help spark conversation. But tread lightly as controversial blogs can be a double-edge sword if you don’t handle it properly.
- Make it pretty: Sixty-five percent of the population is comprised of visual learners. Don’t bore your readers with intimidating blocks of text. Make your blog post pop with images and videos. Visual content not only helps catch the reader’s attention, but it also increases engagement and drives website traffic.
- Use first person tense: No reader likes to be talked at; rather, they want to be talked to. When you use first person, the reader feels an instant personal connection. It also helps put you and the reader on the same level, helping let them know that you understand what challenges they face.
- Be tongue-in-cheek: You don’t always have to be buttoned up. Your corporate blog is a place where you can explore creativity and let your company’s personality shine. It’s okay to be a little tongue-in-cheek from time to time.
Do you have any tips on how to make content engaging? We want to know. Tell us in the comment section below!